Monday, March 3, 2014

All Our Heroes


All Our Heroes

image                                   
   ”All Our Heroes Live in Vans” is the title to the brand new album by Todd Farrell Jr & The Dirty Birds that is being released Today, October 31. Todd (guitar/lead vocals) and company: Eli Rhodes (guitar/vocals), Matt “Goose” Rewinski (bass), and Jack Whitis (drums). This 4 piece Americana punk Rock&Roll band are from Nashville, TN; in fact, three members attended Belmont University also in Nashville (Eli attended MTSU). The album was recorded, arranged, mixed, and pressed by the band. There is no label, no management, just these 4 guys and their combined drive to put out great music. But enough about that, you can look that up yourself, let’s get to the reason we are all here in the first place; the album. I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Todd, personally, for a little while now and like many other friends/musicians I always question what influence (if any) does our friendship have on my love or hate for an album but on “All our Heroes Live in Vans” there’s no question; it’s just a damn good album. 
*Disclaimer: I’m not writing about this album in track order; I’m just talking about them as they come to me. Why? 1) because I can do it however I please & 2) they’re not gonna play the album front to back at the show so get over it, nerds.*
Todd Farrell Jr & The Dirty Birds launches a full emotional assault from beginnings to end with this new album. Happiness, grief, truth, want, desire, sadness, love, and regret are the targets. Target destroyed. Your heart is the target, get it? (Stay with me, told you it was a ramble.) The title of the album, “All Our Heroes Live in Vans”, is part of a lyric, which in all honesty gives me chills & for all of you similar to me, it is spot-on: “the hardest part when all your heroes play in bands, is finding out that all your heroes live in vans.” Is it dusty in here? Wow, what a line. Let that sink in….The name of this song is “Pawnshops” & if this doesn’t hit everyone, somewhere, check your pulse. This entire album is full of truth and emotion. The track “Better Men” is an honest track that we can all relate to because none of us are perfect; we’re merely searching for what makes us whole. It’s not about settling or giving in, it’s about accepting yourself and taking a chance (i.e. “I know there’s better men than me but no one’s better for you”). Rebuttals? I didn’t think so. “Bobby & Chipper” is a homage to the Atlanta Braves (i.e. Bobby Cox / Chipper Jones) and the baseball culture in the southeast. Although this song is strongly grounded in baseball, it’s a very emotional song. In fact, you don’t even have to like baseball or the Atlanta Braves to enjoy this track; you’ll hear & feel the raw emotion of doubt, disappointment, and excitementWARNING: if you are like me, grew up in the Southeast following Braves baseball, grab a Kleenex or two before you listen to this song; it’ll bring back memories. “Take It Slow” touches on failed relationships and future relationships. Also, it’s a track that was previously on Todd’s solo release “Where Fake Cowboys Go to Drink**” but remixed and released on this album with the full band. It was great the first time around but with the band, it adds a whole different feel. “Year in Review” showcases many emotions at once but mainly a reflection of past experiences and hopes for better years to come (if this record is any indication, Todd and the boys already have a good jump on the new year). I’m not sure who “Plastic Knives” is directed at but damn girl, you did a number on him. It seems that he has since moved on and would like you know “you don’t exist to me anymore.” Boom.  "My Currency is Doubt" I think the title speaks for itself. It’s an honest, raw, track, full of sharp-edged lyrics; find out for yourself. “Liner Notes” is a heart-felt ballad about wanting to be wanted. You know what I mean; we’ve all been there, holding on to glimmers of hope. “If It’s Alright By You” touches many different levels of relationships. It also name drops famous couples like George & Mary (It’s A Wonderful Life) and Jack & Diane (Mellencamp). It’s a very catchy song with honest lyrics we can all relate to. Oh, and I do hear some pedal steel? Hell yes.
I had the pleasure of attending the Todd Farrell Jr and The Dirty Birds album release show in Nashville on 10/20; what a show! Not only are these guys great musicians, they are also some of the nicest people I’ve had the pleasure of knowing. Todd repeatedly thanked everyone for coming and I was amazed at the crowd in attendance; friends, fans, and musicians (i.e. Kelly Smith of Glossary, Cory Branan, Blount, Andrew, & Nick of Great Peacock and Wess Floyd) were all hanging out, having a great time listening to these songs. Although Todd and The Dirty Birds haven’t been touring very long, it seems they already have established a pretty decent following. Many in attendance sang along with the band word for word and it was easy to see the joy that this brought the band; think Lucero fans but on a smaller scale (for now). Todd Farrell Jr and The Dirty Birds have hit a homerun (yes, I know) with “All Our Heroes Live in Vans.” It’s a gritty, honest rock and roll album that should be on everyone’s playlist and in everyone’s homes. Grab a copy on HALLOWEEN!

Track List:

1.     Year In Review
2.     Plastic Knives
3.     Bobby & Chipper
4.     Pawnshops
5.     Liner Notes
6.     Better Men
7.     If It’s Alright By You*
8.     Take it Slow
9.     My Currency is Doubt


*Dan Fernandez (Great Peacock) on Pedal Steel

**You can download “Where Fake Cowboys Go To Drink” here:http://toddfarrell.bandcamp.com/

Grab a copy of “All Our Heroes Live in Vans” Today, Oct 31st wherever you buy music: iTunes, Amazon, cdbaby, personal check to me, etc, etc….

    No comments:

    Post a Comment